Before you begin the Guide To Measuring For Your eDesign, it may be advisable to have someone nearby to assist with the measuring. Alternatively, you can hire a handyman to take the measurements for you. You will need one floor plan for each room that is being designed. Measurements should be L x W x H and can be done in inches or feet. Please do not use metric measurements.
What You’ll Need:
- Tape measure
- Grid paper or plain paper
How to Measure:
1. On the top of your paper, label with the name of the room. This label should describe the purpose you intend it to be used for (i.e. Dining Room, Playroom, etc).
2. Draw the general shape of the room from a bird’s eye view.
3. Measure the overall room length, width, ceiling height and mark on your paper.
4. Draw in any doors, windows, or openings
5. Measure the doors, windows, or openings and mark appropriately
Note: You are measuring from the outside of trim
6. Mark in additional wall measurements (i.e. wall to window, walls in between windows, floor to window, ceiling to window, etc).
7. Draw in any details (i.e., fireplaces, columns, appliances, etc.) that are fixed objects and cannot be moved.
8. Measure these items and mark appropriately.
Example: Fireplace – Measure fireplace length, width, height
Measure hearth length, width, height
Measure mantle length, width, height
9. Note where light switches and outlets are located
We’ll review the information provided and will let you know if any information is missing.
You can never provide too much information!
I hope this Guide To Measuring For Your eDesign was helpful!
Follow us on social media
Hi, I’m Kimberly, the owner of KH Home Design serving Connecticut. With my streamlined process, exceptional customer service, and impeccable design sense, I’m here to transform your home into a stunning reflection of your personal style and needs. As a multi-award-winning Interior Designer with a passion for design and a deep understanding of psychology, I create spaces that not only look amazing but also feel amazing to be in. Book a Complimentary Call today to get started on creating the home of your dreams.